On May 7, 2011, at 1:37 AM, Jorge wrote:

> But if I wanted a shorter syntax, I would no doubt choose ruby blocks'
> syntax, it's even shorter yet and it's familiar already to millions of
> programmers.

Ruby and Smalltalk before it had blocks for most of their usable lives. JS does
not. Having break, continue, return, this, arguments, and perhaps other
features of JS change meaning in a block to refer to aspects of the outer
function's activation (if still active) is a big change. It adds new runtime
error cases. It's certainly not simpler than shorter function syntax.

Not all JS hackers are Rubyists.