18. мај 2011. 16.48, Allen Wirfs-Brock <al...@wirfs-brock.com> је
написао/ла:

> On May 18, 2011, at 4:33 PM, Nebojša Ćirić wrote:
>
> > John,
> >  I think you are correct. We allow for cached items, so it wouldn't be
> "new" object we return in that case. I guess it's better to leave names as
> they are now.
>
> The the cached and potentially sharable instance immutable?

I think that's what we agreed at the last meeting, to prevent potential
problems.

> > Allan,
> >  this is how current proposal looks like (just parts relevant to
> DateTimeFormat):
> >
> > LocaleInfo = function(settings|string) {...}
> > LocaleInfo.prototype.dateTimeFormat(settings)
> > LocaleInfo.DateTimeFormat = function(settings, locale) {...}
> > LocaleInfo.DateTimeFormat.prototype.format(Date)
> >
> > So one can do both:
> >
> > var locale = new LocaleInfo();
> > var dtf = locale.dateTimeFormat({skeleton: 'MMMy'});  // shorthand for
> one below
> >
> > or
> >
> > var dtf = new LocaleInfo.DateTimeFormat({skeleton: 'MMMy'}, locale});
> >

> I think you should only support one or the other (and I would go with the
> version on the prototype).  By having both you effective double the surface
> area of this part of the API., but for what benefit?  It isn't clear that
> the connivence in a few situations justify the cost of developers having to
> learn a larger API set.
>
> Particularly if the above example is typical, I don't see why anyone would
> ever code the second form.  You still have to have locale available and the
> first form is shorter.

If I remove constructor LocaleInfo.DateTimeFormat  where would I put
LocaleInfo.DateTimeFormat.prototype.format() method for example (I would
gladly remove the duplication, but I am not sure how)? Right now I do:

LocaleInfo.prototype.dateTimeFormat(settings) {
  return new LocaleInfo.DateTimeFormat(settings, this);
}

and

LocaleInfo.DateTimeFormat = function(settings, locale) {
}

does actual work of creating the new object.