On May 19, 2011, at 3:35 PM, Shawn Steele wrote:

> I'm still not at all convinced :)  I don't buy that the linguistic case isn't
> interesting

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the linguistic case isn't interesting.  It's
obviously very interesting for a lot of application.  I was trying to say the
the ES string value type and String objects are  linguistic neutral
abstractions and also that I think this is a good thing. I would have no
problem at all with a different object-level String-like abstraction that
supported Unicode linguistics.  Call it UnicodeString or UTF16String or
whatever and give it all the linguistic aware  methods you want.  The
underlying data would still be represented using the linguistic neutral string
value type.

Allen