On May 20, 2011, at 2:32 PM, Sean Eagan wrote:

> <: kind of looks like a jet with two rocket engines on the back which
> might be memorable.  It could be called the "jet operator" or "rocket
> operator".

On some fonts it looks pretty bad, though.

> <~ has the disadvantage that it looks somewhat similar to <- and thus ->

<~ and <- are not backward-compatible extensions, consider function test(a,b) {
return a<-b; }.

> Also, whichever one is picked, why not allow it to point in either
> direction, just always towards the [[Prototype]] ?  Using the reverse
> direction for different semantics in the future would be confusing.
> The forward direction would be useful if you only wanted the
> [[Prototype]] to be used by one object:
>
> {x: "x", y: "y"} ~> {
>  foo: function(){...},
>  bar: function(){...}
> }

The prototype object is typically named and therefore referenced on the left of
the "proto operator", with an object initialiser that's must longer declaring
the new object that delegates to the prototype object. This does not work well
with forward-arrow, because it makes for readability eyesores like this:

var derived = {big: ...,
              lumpy: ...,
              initialiser: ...,
              withMethods(...) {...}} ~> proto;

where the ~> proto is lost in the ragged-right noise. Sure, you can pull it out
onto its own line, but you still have the fat, lumpy initialiser squatting on
it. Not pretty!

/be