On May 23, 2011, at 8:31 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> On May 23, 2011, at 6:11 AM, Irakli Gozalishvili wrote:
>> 1. More syntax means larger language surface, which adds complexity more
>> things to remember / learn. More things to consider in ES.next.next
>
> It's true, although not everyone learns it all up front. Especially where new
> syntax is not yet supported in all browsers, and the student is not using a
> compiler to translate new to old version.
>
> I think the sharper version of your (1) is: "class syntax is too much syntax
> to solve the problems people have with prototypal inheritance: subclassed
> prototype/constructor set-up and super calls."
>
> I agree with that.

To be fair, others want to hang more hats on class syntax, including traits
(separate proposal) and const/abstract modifiers. Then there are the guards and
trademarking strawmen.

Class syntax is like a lint brush for such features. If we add it, it will
accrete more semantics (with unambiguous syntax, I hope) over time. This is
just inevitable, in my view. It makes me want to resist classes and look at
smaller and more direct fixes for the two known prototypal hazards.