Dave,

I agree with your goal of simplifying things in this area.  In that regard, I
think you bare-miniumn requirements align quite nicely with "prototypes as
classes" as has been recently discussed here.  In case you haven't followed all
the twists of the discussion, Axel Rauschmayer has a nice overview at
http://www.2ality.com/2011/06/prototypes-as-classes.html . The big hangup with
this approach until recently was that it did not seem to  fit well with the
existing built-ins or constructor patterns.  However, it now appears that there
is a pretty nice way to integrate the two approaches.

Taking this approach, we would have the full expressiveness of your
bare-miniumn classes but achieve it using object literal extensions.   There is
no need to add a new class declaration form. We would have something that works
and feels like classes but which also preserves the prototypal inheritance
focus and feel of ES.  It also continues to reserve the "class" keyword for
future use, if it turns out that this simpler "prototype as classes" approach
is inadequate (I don't think this will happen, but it is good to still have a
fallback).

As soon as a get a block of time later this week I will write up a "prototype
as classes" proposal that covers al the technical edge cases including
integration with existing built-ins.

Allen