> My point is that the map spec is a deterministic algorithm because
> side-effects would be noticeable otherwise. However, this prevent
> implementations where function calls would be done in parallel for instance
> (for better performances). In some cases (like the one I showed), the exact
> order in which the function calls are performed does not matter, but I have
> no way to tell the JS engine "I don't need the execution order guarantee",
> allowing it to do the calls in parallel. The addition of the functions I
> suggested would be the way to say it.

We can't do this in general for JS, especially for the mutable Array data
structure. It's not in general safe to run JS code in parallel. However, this
would be much more appropriate for immutable and homogeneous datatypes. At
least for callback code that could be proved to be safe to run
non-deterministically, operations like map could be run in parallel. We have
been working with some partners on this. Watch this space.

Dave