On 28 July 2011 20:34, David Bruant <david.bru...@labri.fr> wrote:
> Le 28/07/2011 19:52, Andreas Rossberg a écrit :

>>> I think we discussed already the idea of "proxy" being passed as a data
>>> property to the handler and came to the conclusion that it may not be a good
>>> idea, because it breaks the stratification. If two proxies use the same
>>> handler as in [2], then, there is an ambiguity on what the value of this
>>> property should be.
>> The solution we discussed is to simply use prototypes. That is, share
>> handler methods by putting them on a (single) prototype object, and
>> have per-proxy instances that carry the individual proxy references
>> (or other per-proxy data, for that matter).
> This is a pattern that I have seen used by Tom a lot and that I really
> like too, but you can't force a user to do that.
> So I assume, you would systematically add a base object and use the
> argument handler as its prototype?
>
> ---
> // h is a handler object
> var p1 = Proxy.create(h);
> var p2 = Proxy.create(h);
> ---
> When a user does this, what does he want? To use the exact same handler
> (same object identity)? Or to use the same logic but different internal
> properties?
> The solution you discussed seems to assume the latter, but who knows?
> And how do I implement the former if the proxy spec imposes that the
> object I pass internally becomes another object?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. The solution I
mentioned is purely user-side. There is no magic assumed in the proxy
semantics. If you pass the same handler twice, it will be the same
handler. If you need proxy-specific state, pass different handlers. If
you still want some form of code sharing, use prototypal delegation.

> Now that I think about it, it's a bit weird that the proxy API allows to
> create several proxies with the same handler (same object identity).
> Maybe the API could be reworked in order to prevent it? Maybe
> Proxy.create should return the same proxy object if provided the same
> handler (p1 === p2, here)?

I agree that there probably aren't too many useful examples for using
the same handler. However, I also don't see a good reason for
disallowing it, nor to require Proxy.create to memoise all handlers.

/Andreas