Re: new

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 13:08:46 -0700

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Axel Rauschmayer <a...@rauschma.de> wrote:

> I dont think having both new <Object> and new <Function> in the language
> will cause any conflicts. It's the same as claiming that having both
> declarative class and new <Function> would cause "confusion".
>

> I wouldn’t mind either, but there *will* be two ways of doing things then
> (and that’s only a positive in the Perl world ;-).
>
> class literals look the same but literal declaration are a right pain for
> any kind of meta programming. I can't take an existing object and turn it
> into a "class" without using eval.
>

> Can you elaborate?

Let's say I have object/class A and object/class B, I want a new class that
is the union of A and B. (basically a mixin).

There is no way of saying C = union(A,B) without using your standard
functions and function.prototype.

Where as with prototypes as classes it would be as simple as saying var C =
Object.extend({}, A, B) (for some value of Object.extend)

There are other examples of meta programming you cannot do with class
declaration (without using eval. You can do anything with eval)

Not to mention that es:h classes desugar to functions as classes rather then
prototypes as classes (the latter doesn't exist yet).

I'd just think implementing prototypes as classes has very little to loose
as long as we dont go and fix all the existing objects (Object.prototype,
Function.prototype, String.prototype, etc)