Thanks for all the answers!

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:40 PM, John J Barton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com>
 wrote:

> I was trying to encourage Jake and Juan to participate in taking it
> forward.

I'd love to, but I'm afraid my interpreter-writing skills are somewhat null
if not undefined. I'm interested in language design and interpreting but I'm
barely scratching the surface with SICP for now.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:29 PM, Kam Kasravi <kamkasr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've implemented several harmony proposals in es.next by expanding the
> grammar in pegjs (
> https://github.com/dmajda/pegjs/blob/master/examples/javascript.pegjs).
> (..) I like my approach because the grammar is easy to extend and I don't
> know of any other transpiler whose ast/generators are in the target
> language.
>
> pegjs looks great! I'm playing with the online version right now. I already
have a parser that interpretes ^ as Math.pow() *happy newbie*

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:17 PM, David Herman <dher...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> > Traceur is very good! I'd just like to have something that compiles to
> ES5 without intermediate libraries, the way CoffeeScript works, so that it's
> easier to debug and use in NodeJS.
>
> You aren't going to be able to match CoffeeScript's readability for many
> features, especially generators, private names, and proxies. Those require
> deep, whole-program compilation strategies.
>
> Dave
>
> I understand that. However proxies are already in V8 and SpiderMonkey.
WeakMaps are in SpiderMonkey as well. I'm already looking at using proxies
in NodeJS to rewrite a MongoDB driver. So what I'm looking for is to try out
all the syntax that's just sugar (classes, destructuring, rest, spread, etc)
to see how it changes my everyday coding in my small projects that have room
for experimentation.

Juan