There are other alternatives, such as supporting both alternatives with two
different entry points (con: API proliferation), taking an optional boolean
flag indicating to return the pair (con: too dynamic a type), taking an
optional outparam object (con: what is this? C?). OK, so most of those
suggestions suck. :) But there are bigger questions to settle before we need to
settle this one.

Dave