I think the main reason to have a FormatComponent is to give each
DateTimeFormat instance a configuration state so that once you define it
you can "format" it automatically any time you print it out.

Said that, I am familiar as example with gmdate() PHP function or similar
"string syntax" as it could be "%.2f" for numbers and I agree these are
more handy and more "JavaScripysh" so that if ES.next won't have them, many
developers will try to add these shortcuts into Data.prototype object with
{writable:false,enumerable:false,configurable:false} descriptor.

This underlines one more time too much abstraction or engineering may
result into less practical usage for daily basis tasks.

+1 for Nicholas idea

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Nicholas Zakas <standa...@nczconsulting.com