On 11.11.2011 14:37, David Bruant wrote:
Hi,

It reminds me of something I was thinking about recently.
A very common pattern in JS is:
----
(function(global){
  var private1 = 'a';
  // ...
  global.something = 11;
})(this)
----

block-scoped variables allow a light-weigth version of this pattern:
-----
{
  let private1 = 'a';

// |this| is the global object already, but if people feel uncomfortable with
  // reading code with |this|, they can always create an alias:
  const global = this;

  // ...
  global.something = 11;
}
-----

So I thought we could get rid of the (function(){...}()) pattern for good.
But there is also this pattern:
-----
var C = (function(global){
    var something;

    // ...

    return something;
})(this);
-----

which I thought could be turned into:
-----
var C = {
    let something;

    // |this| is the global object
    // ...
}
-----

But it does not have a return value and as noted in your second message, there seems to be an ambiguity with object initializers (not only visual but formal). The 'do expressions' solution sounds like a good idea, but visually reminds of a do-while loop.

I don't really have a better proposition yet, but i'm looking forward to seeing any solution that will allow to replace all "(function(global){...})(this);"

Yep, exactly. Block-expressions (w/ return values) are in many languages. And it's really often convenient. E.g. in the same Erlang (sorry for mentioning it too often), you may also use imminently applied function:

Foo = (fun() ->
  % do stuff
  100
end)(),

But nobody do this there, since e.g. there is a block-expression:

Foo = begin
  % do stuff
  100
end,

And the main thing also, that we can use internal variable there. It's of course can be achieved with `let` blocks as you show above, but such blocks don't allow to assign the result to the outside. Actually, it can be OK, we may assigned the value inside the block itself:

let foo;

{
  let x = 10;
  foo = x;
}

But if the block is long, it seems more convenient to see that the block assigns something in the head of the block, but not in its body:

let foo = {
  // do stuff
  100;
}

Anyway, the blocks are just "one of" the cases. The proposal is to have "all of them" as expressions as well, e.g. switch, if, try, perhaps `while` etc.

Dmitry.

David