I can explain what V8 is doing/planning to do:

The classic behaviour for const is fairly similar to the one from
Mozilla, the inventors of const.  The implementation is fairly
complicated, involving a magic sentinel that enables the
implementation to distinguish between a const variable that has not
been initialized and one that has been initialized to undefined.
Using const disables optimization except in some very simple cases.
const declarations are hoisted to function level.  This is
unfortunately not the same as Safari, which just implements it as a
synonym for var.

In <script type=harmony> mode we plan to support the new non-hoisted semantics.

In order to prevent a silent change of semantics caused by an update
of Chromium we don't plan to change the hoisting semantics in classic
mode.  It is possible that we might make a change to align with
Safari's implementation which is slightly less risky (and a nice
simplification).

In order to prevent a silent change of semantics caused by addition of
'use strict' we don't want to disable hoisting on strict mode.
Instead we ban const in strict mode.  The reasoning is:

In order to prevent a silent change of semantics caused by addition of
<script type=harmony> we make const a syntax error in strict mode
code.  That way, when people add <script type=harmony> (presumably
instead of 'use strict') there won't be any const keywords left in
their code.