On Nov 19, 2011, at 9:54 AM, Axel Rauschmayer wrote:

> I like the idea of replacing the method name “constructor” with something
> better, but “new” suggests instantiation *and* initialization to me. Is
> “init” a possibility?

Is that distinction between instantiation and initialization very important for
the average JS programmer (or stated another way, is the average JS programmer
at risk if they fail to understand that distinction).  Is the sophisticated JS
programmer who understand the difference between instantiation and
initialization and the detailed semantics of the new operator going to get
confused it the initialization code is labeled with "new"?

My intuition in both cases is that the answer is no.  If I'm correct then "new"
seems like the better alternative.

Allen