>> (I survived the Algol68 report. If you want to have only one precise meaning
>> for a word, don't borrow one from a natural language. Otherwise just accept
>> that in technical usage, a word's meaning(s) may be only loosely connected
>> to its natural language meanings.)
>
> I'm just basing this on my experience. I'm used to "the number of things in
> this collection" being called the "size" not the "length".
>
> Also, as someone pointed out in this thread, the length of an array is *not*
> the same as the number of indexed elements of the array, thanks to holes. So
> not only are the words different in English (IME, IMHO, YMMV, yadda yadda
> yadda) but the actual operations we're talking about are different.

I agree about "size" being the right name:

- "set count" sounds like it means "the number of sets", not "the
number of elements contained in this set"

- "set length" sounds like, well, nothing, really. And "length" is
already taken and means something very different

- "set size" sounds just about perfect