This is a big de-optimizer without a sigil or mode to identify references. I
don't think it will fly. It lacks compelling use-cases. The last one was VB-ish

 foo.items(i) = bar

callable lvalues, allowed to return References if the callable is a host
object, but deprecated or in the process of being deprecated (thanks to Sam
Weinig for removing non-document.all [caller] uses in WebKit's IDL).

/be