The performance isn't actually even the main point, it's also about the
fact that JS is more and more used for binary operations, such as our
codecs, bit counting methods make using the language more expressive, and
for example OpenCL, CUDA, GCC, Clang and Posix libc have them mainly for
that reason.

I don't really have an opinion of where in the language it goes, a module,
namespace, whatever, as long as it's there. :)

And as for filing the bugs, I'm a bit hesitant to do that since different
versions seem to perform quite differently between JS engines, so if you'd
want to go optimizing a pattern, first you'd have to decide which of them
is the best and should be optimized. I'd prefer none, because they're all
pretty ugly hacks. Maybe the most expressive and intent-clear pattern is
the clz(x) -> 32 - x.toString(2).length, but it isn't currently very fast.

Jussi