Does passing /foo/i.test not work? (Away from computer.) Perhaps it should, if
it doesn't?

On Mar 23, 2012, at 16:28, "Felix Böhm"
<esdisc...@feedic.com<mailto:esdisc...@feedic.com>> wrote:

Hi guys,

just a first try for a proposal: Array.prototype.[filter/some/every] currently
require a function as an argument. Most of the time, everything I want to do is
check if they match a certain pattern. So what I end up writing is a RegExp
that matches the pattern, and calling its test() method for every member of the
array.

My proposal is to allow people to use a regular expression as an argument for
the three methods. Current implementations throw an error when they don't get a
function as an argument, so this won't break any (working) code.

An example:

["fOo","bAr"].filter(function(elem){ return /foo/i.test(elem); });

should be replaceable with

["fOo","bAr"].filter(/foo/i);

For non-string members of the array, the current behavior of the
RegExp.prototype.test method (ie. converting the value to a string) applies.

Any reasons why this is a bad idea? (Or is it just my bad attitude? :D )