Why is the argument and curly brace syntax required for except? Why
not simply allow:

try {
  throw ExceptionalException;
} catch dosubroutine();

which for the convenience of Jussi's original ask:

try {
  //fail
} catch null;

(or if you prefer, a noop call). The lack of parentheses make it clear
that the word following 'except' is not the error parameter, and the
lack of braces clearly means the catch-phrase ends at the semicolon.
It could even be immediately followed by a finally, which I think
yields some terse, but useful syntax that's intuitive and consistent.

try foo();
catch bar();
finally cleanUp();

in the same spirit as