> Constants? We don't need no stinking constants! :-P Manifest strings, a la
> typeof, are the natural and self-describing upgrade path, if we're talking
> typeof (see Subject).
>
> The Reflect namespace object is part of direct proxies, also populated in
> SpiderMonkey (not web-facing) by Reflect.parse to get an AST for a given
> source string. We could indeed put type-reflecting method(s) there but I'm
> loath to add manifest constants. What's wrong with strings?

Nothing – if it’s only about primitive values. But if you want to have
something that is both Allen’s `class` operator (for objects) and `typeof` (for
primitive values) then constants are the best solution (that I can think of).
I’ve always thought that the distinction between typeof and instanceof was a
bit artificial, it would be nice if we had something that unified both.

Or do you propose returning functions for objects and strings for primitives?
E.g.:

switch(type(x)) {
    case "null":  // x is null
        break;
    case "string":  // typeof x === "string"
        break;
    case String:  // x instanceof String
        break;
}