On Jun 27, 2012, at 10:58 AM, Kevin Smith wrote:

> The client chose to use *. You don't have to use * if you don't want to. It's
> a convenience.
>
> The convenience of * comes with a price, of course:  (a) the inability to
> statically catch undeclared names without also anlayzing external files, (b)
> the hazard of name collisions, and (c) the inability for a reader to tell
> where names are coming from without automated analysis.

We intend to rule out (b) by disallowing import * from shadowing. But yes, the
convenience does mean that the bindings are not explicitly named. That's the
trade-off. I prefer to leave this trade-off to developers. Others prefer to
make a unilateral ban on *. Reasonable people can disagree. But in my calculus,
that argues for inclusion in the language and letting developers or teams make
the decision for themselves whether to use it.

> Is it worth it?  How can we tell?

By implementing it in SpiderMonkey! :) Seriously, though, we intend to build
modules so people can get a feel for it.

I understand that import * is controversial. ES6 modules don't depend
inherently on them. I believe that they're an important convenience for
scripting. But they're not fundamental.

Dave