Hi Steve,

Thanks for joining the conversation. =-)

The automatic dependency discovery that Knockout does is rather cool.
My sense has been that Proxy is a better tool for this job than is
expanding the semantics of Object.observe() to include reads.

Object.observe() only operates on objects which are specifically
observed, so something like

get val function() {
  this.foo.bar + this.bat.baz;
}

Would only report access to this.foo and this.bat, but not foo.bar and bat.baz.

While applying the function to a proxy wrapper allows for the creation
of a "membrane" through which you can discover dependencies not
available on the local object.

Is my thinking flawed?

Note that the Object.observe() specifically reports when properties
are reconfigured such that any approach you take to computed
properties can know when it needs to invoke its strategy and when it
can rely on the system-generated change records.