Well, the draft standard specifies the ISO 4217 currency and funds code list as
the source for the default digits, so using a different value is
non-conformant, and tests are there to uncover such issues.

Has the CLDR/ICU team ever tried to get this corrected at the source, i.e.,
contacted the ISO 4217 Maintenance Agency or the Bank of Uganda?

This case looks similar to the Japanese yen, which in theory is subdivided into
100 sen, but in reality isn't. In that case, ISO 4217 specifies 0 digits for
the minor unit.

Thanks,
Norbert