On Oct 2, 2012, at 1:08 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:

> On the other hand, if you have many instances that need to be branded I
> suspect that the distributed symbol based technique is going to have a better
> performance profile than the WeakMaps.
>
> Is this true?  Are there performance "caveats" that come with current WeakMap
> implementations?

Perhaps you thought we were handling out free lunches??  :-)

At the very least WeakMaps require an additional GC phase and associated house
keeping.   From a generational collector perspective they act kind of like
additional remembered sets -- additional objects that have to be scanned that
might whose scanning might have otherwise been deferred until latter.

Allen