This use-case is usually what weak refs get pressed into service for. But I
think that answering your question, "why is my RSS continually increasing?"
is something for a tool (debugger, profiler, etc.) to help answer. Some
sort of assertion version of free() seems like the right thing: it can
communicate your intent there be no refs at that point to a tool. E.g.

   console.assertFree(obj);

Regards