My 2 cents against the windmills...

I personally think returning `this` in absence of any meaningful value (and
chaining in general) is a bad pattern. Chaining leads to worse readability
(there's nothing subjective about this, if you have to scan the code to
another page to figure out which object the code is interacting with, it's
bad readability) and returning this is more future-hostile than returning
nothing. If we in the future come up with something actually useful the
function could return, there's no turning back if it already returns
`this`. For set(), meaningful values include the value that was set, a
boolean whether the value was added or replaced, etc., whereas `this` is
meaningless since you have it already. Returning `this` in absence of
meaningful values is also a mental overhead: "Does this return a meaningful
value, or just this, so can I chain it?"

I, like Andrea, have dreamed that Array#push() returned the value I passed
to it (although the reason that it doesn't is probably that you can pass
multiple values to push), I have a lot of cases where I've hoped that I
could do this:

return objects.push({
  foo: bar,
  baz: tar
})

instead of:

var newObject = {
  foo: bar,
  baz: tar
}
objects.push(newObject)
return newObject

For Array#push() to have returned `this`, I can't think of a single line of
code it would have made simpler.

Another thing is that set() returning the value that was set is also
consistent with language semantics in that `(a = 1)` has the value of 1.

I'd like to see a better way to do chaining than functions returning
`this`, like the monocle mustache.

Cheers,
Jussi