On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Allen Wirfs-Brock
<al...@wirfs-brock.com>wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2012, at 10:23 AM, John J Barton wrote:
>

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Allen Wirfs-Brock <al...@wirfs-brock.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On Dec 12, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Brandon Benvie wrote:
>>
>> All the Object functions that operate on multiple properties are
>> currently specified using *pendingException* which reports the first
>> thrown exception after going through all the properties. defineProperties,
>> freeze, etc.
>>

>> In, ES6.  This is a breaking (hopefully nothing) change from ES5 that was
>> suggested by Mark Miller.
>>
>> The desire is to decrease the non-determinism that an early throw
>> introduces.
>>

> How can multiple calls to Object.mixin with identical state result in
> different results?
>

> Because the order that the source properties are visited is unspecified.
>  It can differ among implementations and in theory could even differ within
> a single implementation.
>

>> In the ES6 approach all property updates that can occur will occur,
>> before the exception is thrown instead of leaving the object in a less well
>> defined partially updated state.
>>

> If an exception is thrown because of an error in Object.mixin, what state
> is the object in?  Will the spec define that state?
>

> Yes, all property additions (to the target object)  that can complete will
> complete.

And I assume then that the exception thrown will be 1) standardized, 2)
specify the properties that are undefined on the target as a result of
exceptions, and 3) provide those exceptions.  That seems to be what we need
to have any chance to use this feature.

jjb