On 27 December 2012 06:38, David Herman <dher...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Dec 24, 2012, at 1:48 AM, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl> wrote:
> > It seems ES6 has __proto__ which also allows modifying [[Prototype]]
> > so presumably this is nothing particularly bad, although it is very
> > ugly :-(
>
> It is never safe to assume that just because something is out there on the
> web that it is "nothing particularly bad"... (FML)

I'm not surprised to read this, though. Putting mutable proto into the
language is far more than just regulating existing practice. It is blessing
it. That is a psychological factor that should not be underestimated. I
fully expect to see significantly more code in the future that considers it
normal to use this feature, and that no amount of evangelization can
counter the legislation precedent.

That is, if having it at all, I'd still think it much wiser to ban it to
some Appendix.

/Andreas