On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Brendan Eich <bren...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Kevin Smith wrote:
>>

>>     And again, ES5 failed to reserve 'module' in strict mode, and
>>     ES1-3 never reserved 'module', so ES6 must make 'module' only
>>     contextually reserved. We are already in "either it's an
>>     identifier, or it isn't" default. If we can do it for 'module',
>>     why not for 'let'?
>>

>> Easy: "module" is still a first class identifier, but with your proposed
>> contortions, "let" is not (under sloppy mode, of course).
>

> No, that's not correct. We have sloppy-mode code using 'let' as an
> identifier (whatever "first class" means) today. We don't want to break it.
>
> The only place 'let' is contextually reserved in the quasi-consensus from
> the last TC39 meeting is at the start of a statement, when followed by an
> identifier, '{', or '['.
>
> Similarly, 'module' is used and usable as an identifier, but not in
> malformed syntax that ES6 proposes to define: 'module' [no LineTerminator
> here] ModuleName ... at the start of a statement.
>

>>         Personally, yes.  Only modules loaded by the module loader are
>>         implicitly strict.
>>

>>     Now I'm confused. What about module M {...} (inline body)? What
>>     does "the module loader" mean, the system loader?
>>

>> Inline modules only in strict mode, in accordance with the rule.  Only
>> out-of-line modules are implicitly strict.
>

> Any use-case-based rationale?
>
> Thanks for clarifying the primacy of "the rule". It was not clear, and it
> does not match what Dave proposed that Mark reconfirmed as "1JS". Although
> Dave left some wiggle room in his first post, I want to say that my attempts
> to make all new body-forms strict don't fit under the consensus "1JS" name
> and I'm not trying to usurp it. Your proposal should be called "2JS" since
> to get the new stuff, you have to "use strict".

In that case, I did not understand Dave's clarification. I thought
Dave clarified this to mean only no new additional modes or opt-ins
beyond those we already have, i.e., no mime types, additional pragmas,
etc. As I understood Dave's clarification, 1JS is orthogonal to our
decisions about how many of the new features to make available in
sloppy mode. Andreas' position (and Kevin's pre-compromise position)
is then consistent with 1JS.

Instead, what you say above seems to agree with what I thought 1JS
meant when I posted my inflammatory message. If this is what 1JS
means, then, again, I do not subscribe to 1JS.

If we cannot come to a common understanding of what 1JS means, we
should find other terminology.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM