My position on private symbols.

My position on classes is and has always been that classes are worth
introducing into the language *only* if they give us, or can be used
with, an affordable means for true object encapsulation. Assuming
Allen is right about what actual implementors will do (which I find
plausible) then WeakMaps are not that means. Given other discussions,
I am confident that the objects-as-closures pattern will not become
efficient either -- it is likely to continue to cost an allocation per
method per instance as its semantics naively suggests. So of the
options practically on the table, I think private symbols are the only
workable choice. If this is correct, then I consider private symbols
to be a requirement. Am I missing anything?

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM