Wait a minute.  I may be misunderstanding here, but all of this discussion
sounds misguided to me.

A Date is intended to represent a specific instance in time, irrespective of
time zone.  You don't want to go adding time-zone-related fields to the Date
object.  Time zone becomes important when you're doing calculations on a time
(converting it into year/month/day/hour/minute/second, etc.) or when you're
converting it to a textual representation for display to the user.  This is
what the DateTimeFormat class in the ECMAScript internationalization spec is
for, and it handles time zone.  There's still a lot of work to do there, of
course, but let's not break the whole model.

--Rich Gillam
  Internationalization geek