OK, it seems like Weak References are now being discussed without the
context of previous discussions of weak references, which is a little
annoying. Non-contrived real-world use cases that require Weak References
(or a primitive with similar capabilities, like a Map with weak values
instead of weak keys, I'm not picky) have already been provided *on this
list* the last time WRs were discussed. I provided two based on real
applications I've worked on; I thought other people in the discussion
thread provided more.

What process needs to be followed before people will believe that Weak
References are a real primitive that solves real problems? Do you need a
set of broken, non-functional 'real world' applications written in JS that
work in a customized version of V8/SpiderMonkey that has WRs? Do you need
more verbose descriptions of use cases than previously provided? I can try
to provide more justification than I did previously if this is necessary; I
wasn't aware that it was.

I totally understand that security concerns and the limited number of hours
in the day have caused WRs to be postponed until ES7 or later (though this
makes me annoyed for obvious reasons), but if WRs as a useful feature are
somehow in such question that people are suggesting they are unnecessary, I
want to know how they got into this position and how to fix it.

The question of whether the non-determinism is justified is a hard one, of
course. Right now applications that need WRs aren't JS applications, so WRs
only pull their weight if it is worthwhile to have those applications
brought into the browser (instead of remaining in native execution
environments like NaCL or being emulated by a custom garbage collector
implementation inside of emscripten with typed arrays acting as a virtual
heap).

I can't answer the question of whether iterable WeakMaps are equivalent to
weak references. I do believe that with iterable WeakMaps you could
determine whether a given object has been collected, but I am having a hard
time imagining how one could performantly implement a Weak Reference via an
iterable WeakMap. The most obvious implementation would be to create a
single-key WeakMap for every Weak Reference, and treating the reference as
dead when the map contains 0 items. This would certainly 'work', but seems
like a rather roundabout way of solving the problem. With an iterable
WeakSet you'd at least be reducing the overhead, so that might be alright.
If this roundabout solution could get into ES6, then I suppose I would
probably prefer it to real WRs in ES<some larger digit>, because I prefer
solving customers' problems now to solving the problems of future customers
later.

Thanks,
-kg

-kg