My apologies. I read your statement "Also it seems to me to be an
unnecessary restriction that originated in Python's desire to always run
the finally blocks -- not a goal of ES6" as if it were suggesting that ES6
had an existing design philosophy that meant finally blocks would not be
reliable in generators. It's fine if a generator's finally block doesn't
run if you never terminate the generator (whether through close or through
iter.throw or through calling iter.next until it completes).

However, I would definitely expect a given finally block to run if i use
for-of or similar on the generator. This is the intent, I hope?

--
-kg