Oliver Hunt wrote:
I would favor ignoring lastIndex rather than throwing, but to be sure can you
clarify what you mean by global regexp?

One created with the 'g' flag, either literally (/re/g) or via the constructor (new RegExp(src, 'g')).

If we're talking /.../g, then my feeling is that the /g should be ignored -- if you're
wanting a regexp iterator for a string (or whatever) I would think that the API would
imply that all regexps were intended to be "global".

Agreed, if we don't just throw from execAll on a global regexp ;-).

If we're talking about multiple concurrent iterators with the same
regexp/string then it should definitely be ignored :D

IOW, in general, 'g' should be ignored by new APIs.

Erm.

I'm not sure if that's coherent, but the TLDR is that I favor ignoring all the
old side state warts (i would not have iterators update the magic $ properties,
etc)

Yes, agreed. The devil is in the details.