On 11/10/2013, at 15:53, Russell Leggett wrote:

> > As you can see the resource packages attempt got dropped. Perhaps this
> > proposal will go through because it is tied to the module loader?
>
> It's sad. What happened? Why was it ditched? Was it, perhaps, too ahead of
> its time?
>
> Let's try again :-)
>
> As you can see, it basically fell to the same conclusion as you are trying to
> fight right now - SPDY and html pipelining. The idea that this can be
> transparently handled better with http rather than a bundling approach.

I appreciate the beauty in 'speedy' and http2.0, but it requires an upgrade of
both ends to http2.0, all the servers and browsers in the world.

We could have the .zip prefetch ref attribute operative tomorrow in the next
browser update, an update which we are going to do anyway. No need to touch any
server.

There are many more client than server side developers, and to grasp the idea
behind an assets.zip prefetch ref attribute takes just a few seconds, or
perhaps a minute, no more. The word spreads, and in less than a year we'd have
the web served zipped, but servers are much more complicated than that, and no
two servers are programmed nor configured equal.

And http2.0 and 'speedy' and all their beauty too, in the future. Why does it
have to be one or the other?

--
( Jorge )();