On 14/10/2013, at 17:20, David Bruant wrote:

> How much are we trying to save with the bundling proposal? 200ms? 300ms? Is
> it really worth it? I feels like we're trying to solve a first-world problem.

I think that the savings depend very much on the latency. For example from
where I am to Brazil the latency (round-trip) is almost 500 ms, so if I could
bundle 60 files in a .zip instead of requesting them in series (say at max 6 in
parallel), the page would load in a little more than 500 ms instead of in 10
seconds.

You can also think about it this way: the price per request with 500 ms of
latency, is 500kB on a 1 megabyte per second ADSL, or 1 megabyte in a 2
megabyte/s ADSL, etc. So for 60 requests it's 30 or 60 megabytes.

Yes a server could perhaps fix that for me almost transparently, but with this
I could as well fix it all by myself.
--
( Jorge )();