On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Marius Gundersen <gunder...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2014 12:14 AM, "John Barton" <johnjbar...@google.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <
> sa...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> This is absolutely necessary for polyfilling.
> >>
> >> Imagine that some browser has an ok-but-not-complete implementation of
> >> the X library, but you want to use jQuery 17, which requires a better
> >> version.  You need to be able to replace X with a polyfilled update to
> >> X, and then load jQuery on top of that.
> >>
> >> Note that this involves indirect access in the same library (jQuery)
> >> to two versions of X (the polyfill and the browser version), which is
> >> why I don't think Marius's worry is fixable without throwing out the
> >> baby with the bathwater.
> >

> > Guy Bedford, based on experiences within the requirejs and commonjs
> worlds, has a much better solution for these scenarios. (It's also similar
> to how npm works).
> >
> > Your jQuery should depend upon the name X, but you Loader should map the
> name X when loaded by jQuery to the new version in Loader.normalize(). The
> table of name mappings can be configured at run time.
> >
> > For example, if some other code depends on X@1.6 and jQuery needs X@1.7,
> they each load exactly the version they need because the normalized module
> names embed the version number.
>
> This seems to handle the scenario where two versions is wanted. This would
> probably also work in the scenario where a unique instance of the same
> version should be given to every module depending on it. This would be
> useful for unit tests, where a clean world is required for each tests. Or
> for unit test maybe a new realm should be used for each test.
>
> If a module is redefined with imperative code then an error should
> probably be thrown, or the promise could be rejected.
>

> But I don't think that would be good for DOM manipulation. If innerHTML is
> used to add a lot of markup and an existing module to the DOM, should an
> error be thrown?

In my opinion, attempting to overwrite a Loader's module entry would cause
an error yes.

> Should none of the other markup be added to the DOM?

Whatever DOM does is DOM's business.

> What would the error message look like to adequately indicate the source
> of the error?

`The module name ${moduleName} has already been defined.`

I don't suggest we try to issue an error message special to this
circumstance, such as "Adding a module via innerHTML is craziness".  We'll
just let folks work that part out themselves.

jjb