It is straightforward to implement a hash function based map as a
subclass of `Map`.  Something like:

```js
var HashMap = function() { this._map = new Map(); };
HashMap.set = function(key, value) {
  var hash = key.hashCode();
  var list = this._map.get(hash);
  if (!list) { list = []; this._map.set(hash, list); }
  for (var i=0; i<list.length; i++) {
     if (list[i].key.equals(key)) {
        list[i].value = value;
        return;
  list[i].push({key: key, value: value });
};
// etc
```
(For simplicity I used delegation above, rather than a subclass, and I
used ES5 syntax.)

Note that the above implementation makes a number of assumptions which
the ES6 designers decided were *not* appropriate to hardcode into the
language:

1. All object used as keys must implement `hashCode` and `equals` with
appropriate semantics.
2. Hash code collisions cause the map to revert to linear search.
(Alternatively you could implement a different variant of hashtable
chaining.)

ES6 includes only the basic `Map` primitive, on top of which you can
build the infinite variety of different `Map` variants.

I expect that we will begin to see helper libraries built on top of
ES6 primitives.  As an example, I wrote `prfun` to provide
Promise-related helpers on top of the (similarly bare-bones) ES6
`Promise`.  Presumably we'll eventually see some library with a name
like `javamap` to provide java-style `hashCode`/`equals` maps on top
of ES6 `Map` for those who want that.
  --scott