> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 6:31 PM, André Bargull <andre.barg...@udo.edu>
> wrote:
> > On 3/6/2014 11:35 PM, Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> > The proposed [[GetOwnPropertyNames]] internal method is supposed to be a
> > more restrictive version of [[OwnPropertyKeys]] to ensure Proxy objects
> > don't lie about their properties.
>
> [[SafeOwnPropertyKeys]] or [[CheckedOwnPropertyKeys]] seems like a
> more accurate and less confusing name, since it returns keys not
> names.

The result is only "checked" for proxies, but the name of internal methods
should make sense for all types of objects.

>From an API point of view, the more significant difference may be that
[[OwnPropertyKeys]] returns an iterable, while [[CheckedOwnPropertyKeys]]
would return an array of strings and symbols. I don't think there is
currently a good naming convention to distinguish things that return an
iterable versus things that return an array.

I searched the spec for all clients of [[OwnPropertyKeys]], they are:

Object.assign(target, source) // to iterate over all own props (strings and
symbols) of source
Object.keys(O) // to construct array of strings (of enumerable properties)
Reflect.ownKeys(O) // to get iterator over strings and symbols

// the following should be reliable primitives, thus should use the
"checked" version that returns an array:
Object.getOwnPropertyNames(O) // to construct array of strings
Object.getOwnPropertySymbols(O) // to construct array of symbols
Object.{freeze,seal}(O) // to reliably redefine all own props
Object.{isFrozen,isSealed}(O) // to reliably test all own props

Given that most of the functions that use [[OwnPropertyKeys]] need to
either construct an array anyway, or want reliable results, I wonder
whether we shouldn't just change [[OwnPropertyKeys]] to include the checks
and return an array instead of an iterable. That way we avoid having two
internal methods that do more or less the same thing.

Cheers,
Tom