On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 4:32 AM, Kevin Smith <zenpars...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with pretty much everything Andy had to say, and would like to add
> a meta-perspective:
>
> We should be viewing this as a last-minute feature request.  The churn
> that this request has introduced is (in my opinion) exactly the kind of
> problem that the ES7 process is meant to address.  In fact, I would go so
> far as to say that requirements churn has been the number one problem
> during ES6 development.
>
> If the "iterator-as-resource-manager" feature is truly desirable (and I'm
> not even convinced that it is), then the appropriate action is to figure
> out a way to defer it until ES7.  It is simply too late to add this feature
> now.

Btw, I still agree that *if* a way can be found to defer this to ES7
without breaking anything, then or now, we should. Suggestions?

To date, none of the suggested means of deferrals work. The *only* reason
we're considering this for ES6 is we do not see any other viable choice.
Please provide us one.

> [...]
>> same thing.  It is not that generators are unable to abstract over IO --
>> it is that they are unable to transparently abstract over scarce
>> resource acquisition.  No surprise there.
>>
>> The other case is when you have an iterator consumer which is decoupled
>> from the code that created the iterator, as in:
>>
>>   function (iterable) {
>>     for (var x of iterable) {
>>       if foo(x) break;
>>     }
>>   }
>>
>> But it is precisely in this case when you would *not* want to close the
>> iterator, because you don't know its lifetime.
>>

>> == return() in generators is semantically weird
>>
>> I know the argument has already been made, but I would like to repeat my
>> point (2) from
>> https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2013-May/030683.html,
>> namely that close() "complicates the mental model of what happens when
>> you yield."  It's really strange to consider a yield as not only an
>> expression that produces a value, or possibly a point at which an
>> exception could be thrown, but also a "return".  Bizarre.  It's a hazard
>> to reading generator functions.
>>
>> Also, the insistence on a return() that doesn't run catch blocks seems
>> to me to be ill-placed.  I think it's telling that the counter-examples
>> are from Python, which has a different semantic model, as it has
>> finalization.  Implementing abstractions over scarce resources in JS is
>> going to necessarily involve different design patterns than those used
>> by Python.  For the given use-case, throw() is entirely sufficient.  If
>> you don't trust your generators to do the right thing on an exception,
>> you shouldn't be acquiring scarce resources!
>>
>> Finally, the given use-case is incompletely specified; a loop can exit
>> prematurely through exceptions as well as through "break".  So really
>> what is proposed is a finally block in every for-of statement, which
>> brings me to my next point...
>>

>> == Calling return() on early exit from for-of is expensive
>>
>> Wrapping a try/finally around each for-of is going to be really
>> expensive in all engines right now.  I'm skeptical about our ability to
>> optimize this one away.  Avoiding try/catch around for-of was one reason
>> to move away from StopIteration, and it would be a pity to re-impose
>> this cost on every for-of because of what is, in the end, an uncommon
>> use case.  I think the expected result of doing this would be
>> performance lore to recommend using other iteration syntaxen instead of
>> for-of.
>>

>> There's no perfect answer when it comes to abstractions over scarce
>> resources.  Given the constraints of what JS is, its finalization model,
>> its deployment in the browser, and its engines, for me the status quo is
>> the best we can do.  I know that for people that open file descriptors,
>> that's somewhat unsatisfying, but perhaps such a cross is what goes with
>> the crown of being a true Unix hacker ;)

    Cheers,
    --MarkM