On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Nicholas C. Zakas <
standa...@nczconsulting.com> wrote:

> I've been playing around with using destructuring as function arguments
> and have come across some odd behaviors that I'm not sure are intentional
> (or perhaps, not to spec). For context, consider the following function:
>
> ```
> function setCookie(name, value, { secure, path, domain, expires }) {
>     console.log(secure);
>     // ...
> }
>
> // called as
> setCookie("type", "js", {
>     secure: true
> });
> ```
>
> What happens here:
> * `secure === true`
> * `path === undefined`
> * `domain === undefined`
> * `expires === undefined`
>
> I'd say all of that behavior is as expected. However, if I omit the third
> argument completely, things get a bit strange:
>
> ```
> setCookie("type", "js");   // throws error at console.log
> ```
>
> What happens here is that none of `secure`, `path`, `domain`, `expires`
> are defined. I can use `typeof` on them to protect against this, but then I
> end up with some lousy looking code:
>
> ```
> function setCookie(name, value, { secure, path, domain, expires }) {
>
>     if (typeof secure !== "undefined") {
>         // use it
>     }
>
>     if (typeof path !== "undefined") {
>         // use it
>     }
>
>     if (typeof domain !== "undefined") {
>         // use it
>     }
>
>     if (typeof expires !== "undefined") {
>         // use it
>     }
>
>     // ...
> }
> ```

Strange, it seems should fail at trying to start destructuring process:
when ToObject coercion fails with the `undefined` value set to the value of
the parameter.

> My first thought was that this behavior made sense, since no destructuring
> can happen on undefined. However, the workaround for dealing with that
> behavior seems a bit heavy-handed.
>
> I thought perhaps I could assign a default value, and that would solve the
> problem:
>
> ```
> function setCookie(name, value, { secure, path, domain, expires } = {}) {
>     console.log(secure);
>     // ...
> }
> ```
>
> Unfortunately, that resulted in a syntax error in Firefox. Traceur seems
> to have no problem with it.
>
> So I really have two questions:
>
> 1. Who is right about assigning a default value to a destructured
> parameter, Firefox or Traceur?

Well, the the `FormalParameter` is the `BindingElement`, and the later may
be the `BindingPattern Initializer`, where the `Initializer` is your
default value. From which chain Traceur is correct.

> 2. Is the behavior of not having any bindings for destructured parameter
> properties correct? And if so, is it desirable?

Where do you test this? It seems it should fail at destructuring, and not
set any binding pattern properties in this case.

I.e.

```
setCookie('type', 'js'); // throws right away, since no ToObject coercion
is made
setCookie('type', 'js', {}); // sets all binding props to undefined
```

With the default value of the pattern, the first call sets all binding
props to `undefined` as well.

Dmitry