The time zone the user wants to use, and therefore sets in the OS, is not
always tied to the current location. For example, on a flight from San
Francisco to Frankfurt I care about Pacific Time and Central European Time, but
not the other time zones I fly over. There are also locations for which there
is no well-defined mapping to a time zone, e.g., disputed border areas or
regions where different population groups use different time zones.

Norbert