Sorry, I was imagining a specific scenario without giving the specifics:
  include 'foo';  // foo is conventional JS, not a module

I have written on global in a module, it works ok, but the goal was
specifically to mutate global with code written in a module.

Here I have given code, designed to be loaded with a <script> tag or
included with require() in node.  When I try to use say
  import "foo";
I get things like

SyntaxError: In strict mode code, functions can only be declared at top
level or immediately within another function.

You could say, "oh this is just legacy code", but boy we've burnt a lot of
energy on legacy modules maybe a small bit can be invested in legacy
scripts.

jjb