On 29.07.2014 21:20, Brendan Eich wrote:
Christoph Martens wrote:
Also, you could solve the typeof null; problem with such a thing without invalidating legacy code.

You missed the whole previous lifetime many of us lived :-P.

http://esdiscuss.org/topic/es6-doesn-t-need-opt-in (1JS o.p. -- note that some aspects are out of date)

http://esdiscuss.org/topic/use-strict-2 (just one of many rehashes)

https://www.google.com/search?q="versioning+is+an+anti-pattern"; (good in general)

It's not clear whether you were proposing

  use es6;

or

  "use es6";

but I think you meant the latter -- yet that would be ignored by pre-ES6 implementations under the hypothesis, so typeof null would still have to be "object".

There's no issue with typeof uint8 changing across implementation versions. Indeed typeof is one way to "object-detect" and fall back on a shim (if possible), AKA polyfill.

/be

Thanks for the links, those cleared up pretty much what I had in mind.

On the other hand that means typeof uint8 won't return a primitive value, right? Meaning typeof uint8 should return "object", so a theoretical Polyfill (or binding in my case) should have the prototype pointing to Object?

global.uint8.prototype = Object; // ?

~Chris