On 09/16/2014 10:13 PM, Jussi Kalliokoski wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 3:21 AM, Alex Kocharin <a...@kocharin.ru
> <mailto:a...@kocharin.ru>> wrote:
>

>     What's the advantage of `re.test(str); RegExp.$1` over `let
>     m=re.match(str); m[1]`?
>

> Nothing. However, with control structures it removes a lot of awkwardness:
>
> * `if ( /foo:(\d+)/.test(str) && parseInt(RegExp.$1, 10) > 15 ) { ...`
> * `if ( /name: (\w+)/).test(str) ) { var name = RegExp.$1; ...`

Is

  if ((m = /foo:(\d+)/.exec(str)) && parseInt(m[1], 10) > 15) { ... }

so bad? JS assignment is an expression; make use of it. Much better than
Python's refusal to allow such a thing, requiring indentation trees of
doom or hacky workarounds when you just want to case-match a string
against a couple of regexes.

The global state *is* bad, and you don't need turns or parallelism to be
bitten by it.

function f(s) {
  if (s.test(/foo(\d+/)) {
    print("Found in " + formatted(s));
    return RegExp.$1; // Oops! formatted() does a match internally.

Global variables are bad. They halfway made sense in Perl, but even the
Perl folks wish they'd been lexical all along.