Should we, then, throw a SyntaxError, a new Error subclass created for the
purpose, since we don't have a dedicated Error class for it yet (e.g.
ImportError), or just a generic Error?

My thoughts about each option:

1. SyntaxError isn't relevant, since it's about a file that doesn't exist,
not an actual syntactic problem with the code.
2. A new Error subclass can easily be made descriptive, but it would add
another variable into the global namespace, and we all know the risks
associated with that.
3. A generic Error wouldn't tell us anything unless we parse the console
output, which is inherently not portable. The only way this will become
significant is in System.loader, where failures are probably very
important. That could become quickly meaningful on the Web, where scripts
are run as ScriptBody, without the module semantics.

Why I suggested throwing a static ReferenceError is because module
specifiers *are* references, specifically references to files. Static
errors are almost never caught, since the only place to catch them is in an
eval or equivalent.

Looking back, it may be best for implementors to have to figure out what to
do with missing modules.