> On Dec 18, 2014, at 10:54 AM, Mark S. Miller <erig...@google.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Alex Kocharin <a...@kocharin.ru
> <mailto:a...@kocharin.ru>> wrote:
>

> 16.12.2014, 17:04, "Andrea Giammarchi" <andrea.giammar...@gmail.com
> <mailto:andrea.giammar...@gmail.com>>:
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 1:50 PM, Felipe Nascimento de Moura
>> <felipenmo...@gmail.com <mailto:felipenmo...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> function () {
>>     use strict, safe;
>> }
>>
>> This could allow us to even add some extra scoped-options, such as a safe
>> mode..
>>

>> I'm quite sure we've discussed already other directives and the unanimous
>> answer here was "NO, 'use strict' is already problematic"
>>

> It's problematic mostly because it can't be turned off when it's needed.
>
> When is this needed?

It would be nice for testing (engines and applications), at any rate.

If you have similar behaviour for strict and non-strict modes:

```
[true, false].forEach(function someUnitTest(scopeMode) {
  Reflect.setStrictMode(scopeMode);

  assertEquals(“quantum puppies”, doTheThing());
});
```

vs

```
(function someUnitTestStrictMode() {
  “use strict”;
  assertEquals(“quantum puppies”, doTheThing());
})();

(function someUnitTestSlappyMode() {
  assertEquals(“quantum puppies”, doTheThing());
})();
```

> So another directive like "use nostrict" would be welcome imho. Especially in
> modules when "strict" is on by default.
>

>     //... strict context
>     (1,eval)("...sloppy code...");
>     //... strict context

eval has other implications, so it doesn’t always accomplish what you want :(
Plus, the contents are a lot harder to read in most text editors ;)

> I think we should either deprecate one of the modes, or officially support
> multiple modes and provide a method to switch between them.
>
> Feel free to consider sloppy mode deprecated. I do.

Well sure, but unfortunately it’s not going to just disappear :(