> Sets are not a linear data structure, so the order of entries in a Set is
> irrelevant, unlike an Array whose elements must have an explicit position.
> Set entries in JS have an iteration order purely to match programmer
> intuition (and ensure that all implementations adhere), however there is no
> structural importance of the order.

You can impose an order on the elements of a set, though. For example, Java’s
`SortedSet` [1] has the methods `first()` and `last()`, which are occasionally
useful. I agree that it feels weird to have indices attached to set elements,
but it would at least make `entries()` useful. You could iterate and treat the
first element and/or the last element differently. But the same can be achieved
by iterating over a `zip()` of a set and a `range()` (assuming iterable-based
tool functions `zip` and `range`).

[1] http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/SortedSet.html

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer