On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 1:05 AM, Brendan Eich <bren...@mozilla.org> wrote:
> Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
>> I mean ... how should I call my browser that is not 100% compliant with
>> HTML5, a fully compliant HTML 1997 browser ?
>
> Of course this question arose with respect to HTML5, which was nowhere near
> "done" (is it yet?) before marketeers at browser vendors started touting
> compatibility and various players hyped the orange shield. (And then Hixie
> said it was a living spec, version-free. :-P)

I feel like browsers shouldn't tout compatibility with a version (be
it ES6 or ECMAScript 2015). They ought to tout a test262 score.

Unfortunately, "We score 90% on test262!" would be a really bad ad.
Roughly nobody knows what test262 is associated with.

I feel we should rename test262 as well. Maybe simply "The JS Browser
Score". Developers know what JS is.

Suggestions welcome.

As a side-note, I expect test262 to be versionless (or rather, "the
latest version available, with more tests coming in). Currently,
<http://test262.ecmascript.org> mentions ES5.1. Am I right to believe
it will be bumped to ES 2015 when it comes out? Should work begin on a
new branch in here: <https://github.com/tc39/test262>?

I for one would be happy to start working on it.